Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Snehajwala - The Story Of Life !!

THE STORY OF LIFE!!


God is here among the 22 inmates of “Snehajwala” – the old aged home in Kottekkad, Palakkad. They live here with joy and pleasure hiding all their sorrows inside. At times, they do cry in silence remembering their past where they lived with their children and loved ones. Now they have nothing more to do or to get. All that they expect is only one thing – their “death”!!



Thankachan, the all in all of Snehajwala is everything for them. Some calls him brother, son and even father too. He is like a cherub for all those who live here. Snehajwala is a service society that came into being on 15th August 2002. It is as an abode for all the children of God who are physically and mentally weak, in abject poverty and ailing with no roof over their head and abandoned by their parents and children.

The main inspiration to do such a service was after a visit to the isolation ward of District Government Hospital Palakkad, where 16 people, both men and women suffering from various incurable diseases where put together without providing proper food or medicines. Hardly twice or thrice in a week will the staff go to this ward and give them something to eat, when they cry aloud in hunger. People eat, drink and excrete in the same place. Dogs, cats, cows and pigs also keep coming here to eat the debris as the ward was near to a forest area and people seldom comes here. – says Thankachan.
It’s only because of the people in the city that he’s able to meet all his expenses. He doesn’t have any source of income or bank accounts to meet the expenses everyday. Per day he needs to spend about Rs 2000 to 3000 for food and medicines. Within these 6 years of service 23 people have died due to age related reasons and diseases. He himself will make arrangements to cremate the dead body as per the religion in which the person believed.


With very innocent smile they will welcome each and everyone who comes to meet them. I am happy here, I’ve nothing more to give or get, I don’t want anything, I’ve my father(Thankachan),he’ll take care of me till I die. That’s enough for me. – says Madhaviamma who is an inmate of Snehajwala and A great fan of the Malayalam film actor Mohanlal.
There have been days when I’ve cried thinking about how to feed this people the next day as there won’t be any morsel of food in the kitchen. But, solely because of the God’s grace someone will call me up early in the morning telling that they’ll sponsor that days’ food because it’s their daughter’s birthday or their father’s death anniversary or something like that. That’s the only news that can make me happy than anything else. - says Thankachan with a smile. He is unmarried and has got two brothers but, he visits his relatives once in a blue moon.


Along with Thankachan Sister Rosily of the S. D Convent (Sisters of the destitute), Kottekkad is also there at Snehajwala to take care of the inmates. She takes care of the health of these people and provides them with medicines in proper time as she’s the nursing superintended of the District Government Hospital, Palakkad.
I’m happy to take care of these people, now this is my home. I cook, wash and clean here and at times I do play with them or read out stories for them. It’s a wonderful experience. My colleagues use to ask to me why do I spend my salary here, but I’m happy to spend my salary here rather than doing anything else. - Sister Rosily said.


In short, “Snehajwala” is like a heaven for all those who have lost everything in life. It gives them a hope in life. They smile amidst tears when they are here in Snehajwala.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vandana
    I am Divya . I passed through your line . It is interesting . Please my blog also and comment (www.newmoneytip.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to Sister Rosily & Thankachan.

    Your profile description "I am the one ......would touch human heart. I value human emotions more than anything else" truly suits you. your words would have an impact on the world. These words would be a mighty roar towards the society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article, will try to contact them. Are you involved in any charity Srijit

    ReplyDelete