Wednesday, March 30, 2011

His Poem, His Life...!!


Have you ever dropped your jaw at a meaningful and an earth-shattering Tamil song, at its lyrics specifically? Or have you ever mumbled at it saying, “wow, what a lyrics, man!?” Well, then here’s the master-mind, the always young at heart, vibrant and the most endowed lyricist India has ever seen, Vairamuthu.

“The poet in me wasn’t born from nothingness; an impulse which was there when I was ten years old made me write until now.”- says Vairamuthu, the maker of nearly 6000 songs including the latest hits from Raavan and Enthiran. Poets like Bharathidasan, Kannadasan and Kalaignar instigated his love for the language Tamil and poems. Writing poems would be a hobby for some, but for him poem is neither a job nor a hobby but rather, his life, itself. If rap and jazz can shake your body, his lyrics sodden in wide meanings and great lexis can shake your mind!

“If a song of mine is enjoyed by illiterate or deprived people, then that song is the best, I would say. If they can enjoy it and understand it, that is when the poet in me acquires the ultimate contentment rather than any awards or accolades can do” – says he, in bliss. “Sometimes I don’t find enough words to articulate the ideas I have in my mind. But sometimes, some words accidentally come to the tip of my fingers which would be exact for the idea that I had in my mind and that is when the rhymester or the lyricist in me becomes complete; when words and thoughts meet together!”- He asserted.

If you ask him how he can write songs like “Usire poguthey”… and “Kadhal anukkal” even at the age of 50s, then he would say, “Body’s age and mind’s age doesn’t have any relation. My heart is still in the 20s, the college-goer who passionately looks at love, relationships and everything around. I keep observing the youngsters, their trends, their attitude, and almost everything which helps me to write for the present generation.”

“I am in search of a bigger and better ship to sail smooth, to cover wider distances, to catch larger fishes and to go to the depths to find pearls in the ocean of music; and when I find all that is when the lyricist in me will attain the ultimate triumph” – says the five times national award winning lyricist.

Poems have been his life for over 40 years; it has given him fame, opportunities, exposure and bliss. And that has made his life itself into a poem, embraced with love, compassion, peace and eternal euphoria…!!

No comments:

Post a Comment